A Short Break from Armageddon

Thursday, September 25, 2008
Is it me, or does it feel like Armageddon is coming? I’ve spent the last few days trying to get a grasp on what’s happening on Wall Street, and now with the proposed government bailout. I’ve turned to NPR, which usually has some great, in-depth programs on financial matters. I’ve read the Times, the Journal, the Economist. All that’s happened is I’m more confused now than I was at the beginning of the week.

There’s a complete lack of leadership on this issue. I think it’s because the leaders have no clue what’s going on, either. What does a $700 billion bailout plan even mean for America five or ten years down the line? Nobody seems to be able to say for sure, and it can’t be good. But the option is that factories will shut down, hundreds of thousands of people will lose their jobs, and house values will be slashed even more than they are now? Or is that just more fear-mongering by the Bush administration?

I’m not sure how this ties into the whole mommy theme (other than me worrying about how much debt we’re saddling our children with). I just needed to unload. Tomorrow I’m going to try to spend the day away from the news, and just hang out and laugh with my daughter. Thank God for little kids.
1 comments:
Anonymous said...

Good morning!
I thought I'd help you "tie" this into the mommy theme ... here it goes!

The paranoia hormone. Is armageddon, in various forms, impending? or are such fears part of the paranoia hormone that has kicked in since parenthood?

I have developed so many phobias since becoming a mommy, one of which is worrying about the state of the world which we will pass on to our children. So cliche, I know!

But in addition to saddling our kids with astronomical debt, have you noticed that cancer is rampant and autism is on the rise? It seems like everywhere I turn, someone I know or a family member of someone I know has cancer. I've signed so many "sympathy" cards this last year with cancer being the culprit -- I have one on my desk right now, in fact!

And autism ... is there a childhood condition sadder than this? Your child looks perfect, and then one day you realize that he's not. Having a child that will never say "I love you" is unimaginable to me! And yet the statistics are that autism now affects 1 of 150 kids, 1 of every 94 boys is on the autism spectrum! It is more common than pediatric cancer, diabetes and AIDs combined. And since boys are 4 times more likely to have it than girls (and I am a mother of two boys), I am petrified.

So I sincerely hope that someone can fix the financial crises, because as a mommy, I have MORE than enough to worry about as it is!

Post a Comment