Fashion Fixers: Three Weird Things That Actually Work

Wednesday, August 19, 2009
My sister is getting married next week! While of course I am most focused on making sure her big day is as magical and amazing as she deserves...I also am trying to figure out the logistics of packing up the three kids for Sonoma, outfitting them in clothes my mom will find appropriate (she somehow isn't into the American-Apparel-all-the-time look I have cultivated for the munchkins), brainwashing them into wanting to sit through a 2 hour sit-down dinner...and figuring out what I should wear.

You know the drill. These days we get so focused on packing up the children and their accoutrements that we barely remember to pack our toothbrushes, let alone wardrobe options for multiple events, accessories, shampoo, conditioner, makeup, pants for flats, jeans for heels...and the flats and the heels...

I have come upon three ingenious inventions that are going to make my packing easier. And they're all sort of odd.

I was very skeptical of this "hem tape" that promises to temporarily shorten long pants when you are in a pinch. My first thought was : "They are going to make me pay for glorified Scotch tape." But I was proven wrong. This stuff really works, and creates a crisp, flat hem--so now I just have to pack one pair of jeans and it will work with all my shoes. Sure beats the DIY "cuffed look" I sometimes resort to...

And ahhh shoes. My sister's wedding will be outside on a gorgeous estate. But I have been to one wedding too many where I was too busy making sure my stilettos weren't making divets in said gorgeous estate to enjoy the scene. Enter SoleMates--these (admittedly bizarre looking) "guards" slip onto any sleek heel--and ensure that you won't be sinking into the grass. Genius!

Last but not least: Have you tried dry shampoo yet? I was probably one of the last to jump on the wagon of not washing and drying my hair everyday...but just as necessity is the mother of invention, so too is the time-crunch. A product that can save me even 5 minutes gets me waxing profound, so you can imagine my delight at finding this dry shampoo that lets me go one extra day--three days in a row--between washing and blowdrying. Can't make it to the store (because your hair is too greasy!)? Make your own: Combine equal parts baking soda and baby powder, sprinkle over your hair, and brush. The baking soda removes buildup and the baby powder soaks up extra oil.

Like my friend L says: Tricks aren't just for kids. Long live fashion tricks.
10 comments:
kiran said...

AWESOME! i am going to try dry shampoo today!

Anonymous said...

um, or you could wear flats to the wedding?!?

shona said...

i've also heard about jeans that have adjustable ankles and have been dying to try. have you heard of those?

G.F. said...

the stilleto sleeve looks like a joke! it really works??

Anonymous said...

Safety pins work in a pinch for the jean issue as well.

V said...

Always wondered about the dry shampoo, was skeptical too but willing to try! Doesn't the powder leave your hair all white/dandruffy?

Caitlin said...

thanks for sharing i have a wedding to go to in two weeks and i DO want to wear heels!!

Anonymous said...

very cool!

Anonymous said...

i can attest to hem tape, it is awesome! looks tailored.

ma said...

Unite has an awesome dry shampoo that's a bit different; it isn't a powder, but a spray that doesn't leave any residue or white film (for those of us with dark hair that have ever experienced aging via baby powder): http://www.uniteeurotherapy.com/product-knowledge/cleanse/7seconds

Post a Comment