In the Pink, er Red

Monday, September 22, 2008
Back in May, the New York Times ran an article about how the sale of lipstick may be an economic indicator. The idea is that, in economic downturns, women will spend more money on small purchases, such as lipstick, instead of buying more high-ticket items like coats and handbags. Beauty company balance sheets seem to confirm that sales of lipstick increase in down economies. By this logic, and in light of the events of the last week or so, lipstick sales must be poised to soar.

I don't know if its the Fanny/Freddie/Lehman effect or the fact that my husband is now privvy to my spending (and therefore that fourth pair of black slingbacks just can't be mine), but I have recently become consumed with finding the perfect lipstick. And it has to be red. I think this is because I'm so obsessed with "Mad Men," I don't know. I have never been able to find a red lipstick that works well on my skin and from what I hear many Indian girls have the same issue. Something about the undertones of many reds scream "clown" on Indian skintones. But where there's a will there's a clay (shade of lipstick for you. Sorry! I had to do it). If you're interested in channeling your inner Betty Draper but happen to be not as...well...white, try one of these:

For lighter Indian skin:
Chanel "Fire"
NARS Lipstick in "Fire down Below"


For medium dark Indian skin:
Chanel "Dazzling" (this is the one that worked for me)
Make up for ever lipstick No.205

For darker Indian skin:
Kat Von D for Sephora Painted Love Lipstick in "Hellbent"

Bobbi Brown "Cassis"
1 comments:
Anonymous said...

I'm loving the fashion/beauty tips!

Post a Comment